This project is read-only.

F# compilation with Ascend.

Jun 16, 2008 at 12:37 PM
Hi,

Thanks for putting this tool up. As you mention I am taking this opportunity to learn F#.

I have installed the Ascend UI framework and am compiling the Storm Solution. I am not sure how the F# project fiel references the Ascend dlls but it cannot find them. I tried runningGACUtil to get them (the Ascend DLLs) into the GAC. That did not solve the issue. I also tried to copy the Ascend DLLs into the F# project folder. That fixes 1 error - "Error 2 - Unable to find the file Ascend.Windows.Forms.dll in any of -  C:\Documents and Settings\kramram\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\STORMSoapBits\StormSource\Storm\startup". however other errors remain. For example:
Error 1 Unable to find the file Ascend.Windows.Forms.dll in any of  C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\  C:\Documents and Settings\kramram\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\STORMSoapBits\StormSource\Storm  C:\Program Files\FSharp-1.9.4.17\bin\. C:\Documents and Settings\kramram\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\STORMSoapBits\StormSource\Storm\main.fs 1 1 

any ideas on how to fix up references in an F# project?

Thanks
Krams

Coordinator
Jun 18, 2008 at 5:04 AM

Hi Krams,

In your F# project properties, under the "Dll references" part you should have this,

-r "Storm.UI.dll" -r "Ascend.dll" -r "Ascend.Resources.dll" -r "Ascend.Windows.Forms.dll" -r "System.Configuration.dll" -r "System.Security.dll" --win32res "icon.res" --standalone

• "-r" :  flag for referencing other Dlls.  If the full path is not provided (like in my case above), the DLLs should be in the same folder as the project you are building.  For example, the Ascend dlls and Storm.UI.dll must be in the same directory where the storm.exe is located
  • "--win32res" : flag for adding a win32 icon.  Agaim the icon.res file must be in the same directory where the storm.exe is located
  • "--standalone" : flag for including the necessary F# libraries into the output assembly so that the app will still work even on machines where F# is not installed.

A little Disclaimer : I am also new to F#.  I picked up the language a few months ago and before this I've had no prior experience with Functional programming at all! The code you will see is likely not the "best practice" as far as FP goes... :(  I hope to improve on this as this little project goes on.

Krams wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for putting this tool up. As you mention I am taking this opportunity to learn F#.

I have installed the Ascend UI framework and am compiling the Storm Solution. I am not sure how the F# project fiel references the Ascend dlls but it cannot find them. I tried runningGACUtil to get them (the Ascend DLLs) into the GAC. That did not solve the issue. I also tried to copy the Ascend DLLs into the F# project folder. That fixes 1 error - "Error 2 - Unable to find the file Ascend.Windows.Forms.dll in any of -  C:\Documents and Settings\kramram\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\STORMSoapBits\StormSource\Storm\startup". however other errors remain. For example:
Error 1 Unable to find the file Ascend.Windows.Forms.dll in any of  C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\  C:\Documents and Settings\kramram\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\STORMSoapBits\StormSource\Storm  C:\Program Files\FSharp-1.9.4.17\bin\. C:\Documents and Settings\kramram\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\STORMSoapBits\StormSource\Storm\main.fs 1 1 

any ideas on how to fix up references in an F# project?

Thanks
Krams